Elwood UFSD will provide all students with access to school meals each school day.
Students in Attendance
- For students onsite, meals will be provided while maintaining appropriate social distancing between students.
- We will have a “One Way In / One Way Out” procedure. This will include a separate entrance and exit for the food lines.
- One classroom (K-5)/Socially distanced (K-12) will go through the food line and either proceed to the cafeteria seating or return to the classroom with food.
- Hot meals will be served in pre-portioned, closed containers for classroom eating.
- When needed, meals will be delivered on a cart to classrooms.
Students Learning Remotely
- District will apply for election of waivers for meals consumed offsite.
- For students learning remotely, the District will provide “Grab and Go” meals with curbside pickup.
School Lunch Health & Safety and Food Allergies
Every precaution will be taken to ensure the health and safety of individuals with food allergies during meal service while in the cafeteria or in the classroom.
To ensure the District is complying with the guidelines of NYS Child Nutrition, the following protocols will be followed:
- The sharing of food and beverages is prohibited, unless individuals are members of the same household.
- Staff will wear single-use gloves when handling and delivering food.
- All staff overseeing students will be trained in food allergy safety and prevention of cross contact with potential allergens.
- Before and after meal service, all surfaces will be wiped down with approved cleaning/disinfecting solutions.
- Barriers will be installed at the point of sale/point of pickup to ensure physical distance.
- Adequate supplies of PPE (gloves, masks, soap & sanitizer) will be available in all food service areas.
- Routine cleaning and disinfecting of high touch surfaces will be conducted.
- Hand hygiene will be promoted with the use of signs.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers will be placed just inside the entrance to the school cafeteria and/or multi-purpose room dining areas.
- Everyone who enters the dining area will be required to apply hand sanitizer before entering the serving line or eating.
- Cafeteria entrance and exit doors should remain open to reduce students and staff repeatedly touching the same door knobs and/or handles.
- All staff responsible for monitoring students during meal service will be trained on proper hand washing and/or the use of hand sanitizers for students and practice these procedures themselves.
Child Nutrition Requirements
- All Child Nutrition Programs, National School Lunch Program and National School Breakfast guidelines will be followed.
- All meals served will meet meal pattern requirements and ensure compliance with the child nutrition program.
- Production records will be completed for each meal that is served on and off site.
- All in-school dining sales transactions will be done in the cafeteria line, with the exception of those who are learning remotely.
- There will be a designated pick up time and location for “Grab and Go” meals.
Cleaning & Disinfecting
- Sanitization of school kitchens and cafeterias will follow updated standard operating procedures.
- After meal consumption, desks and/or tables will be cleared and cleaned of all debris and/or minor spills.
- All surfaces will be sprayed with district approved cleaner and/or disinfectant.
- Surfaces will then be wiped clean using cloth or paper towels.
- All cleaning and disinfection will follow all requirements advised by CDC and DOH.
Communication with Families
The School District will communicate with families regarding Child Nutrition and School Food information. Any change in operations will be communicated to all families.
Means of Communication:
- Utilization of School Messenger (phone/email)
- Signs (various languages)
- Website (e.g.: menus, various forms)
- Applications for Free & Reduced meals (mailed to homes)
- The Elwood School District will require that students socially distance (six feet separation) while consuming meals in school unless a physical barrier is provided.
- Food service lines will have floor markings and/ or signage to ensure proper distancing. These areas will include, but are not limited to, entrances and exits, serving lines, and disposal of trash.
- Accommodations to current furniture arrangements will be performed to ensure appropriate social distancing.
- Physical barriers and/or partitions will be in all areas where social distancing of 6 feet is not attainable.
Lunch Procedures by Level:
- Lunch will be served by class.
- A rotating schedule for in classroom and in cafeteria eating will be in place.
- Once food is picked up, students will either sit in the cafeteria or return to the classroom with their food.
- Food for classroom consumption will be served in pre-portioned and closed containers. This will help avoid spills in the hallways and classrooms.
- Each cafeteria will maximize the use of furniture (student desks or tables) to ensure appropriate social distancing.
- If additional space is necessary, students will be directed the gymnasium or auditorium.
- EMS students will continue to eat by grade level.